Sunday, April 15, 2007

Borrowing

I still need to cover the trading, liquidity, and borrowing categories in my asset allocation series. Liquidity is pretty boring - I have checking and savings accounts in the US and overseas - and I have covered trading extensively. Borrowing on the other hand is worth covering as my borrowing arrangements are rather different to most pf bloggers and a lot of investment bloggers too. In particular, a lot of real estate bloggers seem to be unaware of the possibilities of borrowing against stocks.

My borrowing capacity is split between credit cards and margin accounts. I have a credit line of about $21,000 on the three credit cards I actually use. I have a zero percent balance of about $6500 on one of them and rotate it to wherever there is a good deal. My credit limits are low because my credit history is short as far as FICO is concerned. Anyway, I think that's the reason. I don't aggressively try to up the limits either. The balance transfer is very cheap financing and worth doing I think.

My main borrowing capacity is in my three margin enabled brokerage accounts. If you have a brokerage account I can't think of a reason not to ask for the ability to borrow on margin. Well, actually I pay some extra fees in Australia in my margin account. But that's not the case in my US accounts. Here's the current rundown on one of my US accounts (the other one just has about $15k in cash in it at the moment - so I can't actually withdraw more than the cash in the account without first buying some stocks):



I could immediately withdraw $19,982, $4,772 of which would be a loan secured by the stocks in the account. You don't need an emergency fund sitting in cash when you have a margin account. I could also spend that much on options or non-marginable stocks (e.g. stocks under $5 in price). But the interesting thing about margin is that if use a loan to buy stocks you can then borrow more money against the stocks you buy. So if I use my borrowing capacity to buy stocks I can borrow another $37,092. Intraday, I can borrow even more - this is so-called "day-trading buying power". The only problem is that my interest rate is currently 10.5%. Larger accounts pay lower rates. So I only borrow for short term trades on the long-side.

My Australian account is much bigger and so are my borrowing capacities:



All the figures are converted to US Dollars. My interest rate is 8.9% and I have an outstanding loan of $33k. I could withdraw or buy non-marginable securities of up to $62k. I really, really, don't need an emergency fund :) But if I buy marginable stocks I could buy more than $200k more of stocks. Recently I bought an extra 4000 shares of EBI.AX using my loan capacity. BTW, EBI.AX is already a levered product.

I often wonder if I should be more aggressive and borrow more. There are lots of potential sources of leverage which are cheaper than margin loans. So until I exhaust those options (no pun intended :)) my borrowing is likely to be very conservative.

No comments: