Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Organizing

That's the theme of the moment.

1. Have everything I need to fax in the stuff to set up the transfers from my Australian account to my US accounts. But seems there is a need for a security calculator - two factor authentication. We'll have to see if they'll send that here to the US. The representative told me they will phone me after I fax them.

2. Almost have all the forms and info for the next stage in my green card application - getting police records from the 3 countries I've lived in apart from the US. Britain wants me to mail them original IDs with my date of birth and name! I think Aus looks easier now they finally sent me the forms. Israel wants me to come in person to the consulate in NYC - that will have to wait till next month.

3. Ameritrade e-mailed Snork Maiden yesterday and said that we didn't sign one of the forms for her Roth IRA. If she can get it faxed to them by today maybe we can get the 2006 contribution in. Though you only need the postmark on the letter with the check, apparently the account must be open before the deadline too to make a 2006 contribution. Hopefully, she can sort this out today, though it is a big hassle. I understand this. I have been procrastinating on these police records.

4. Looks like my brother is going to come visit us, so when that's fixed some travel planning.

5. Snork Maiden had a phone interview yesterday with a university in Europe. By next Tuesday we should know if they want to hire her.

I haven't been doing any trading the last couple of days, though I could have made some money yesterday if I did because I would have been long. Will wait till I feel comfortable. This is going to be a busy couple of weeks though as the semester nears it's end.

P.S. 1:55PM

We failed in the race to make a 2006 contribution to Snork Maiden's Roth IRA. Ameritrade are giving her a lot of trouble because she is still on a foreign student visa. We told them that she is now resident for US tax purposes but they want us to mail in a signed copy of the W8-BEN, fax the signed application form, and send a photocopy of bank statement! Anyway there was something they said couldn't be faxed. Anyway, we can now wait a while to see if a 2007 contribution is going to make sense.

P.P.S. 9:14PM

Commonwealth Bank e-mailed me to tell me I was approved for online international money transfers. Another one says they are sending me the "token" - a calculator used in two factor authentication. Let's see when it arrives.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

Sorry to hear the troubles for Snork Maiden's Roth IRA.

I opend my ROTH IRA account 3 years ago, in a local scottrade branch, with my IDs. no question asked. No problem so far. To expedite the processing, you could open one in a local branch, then transfer. I transferred mine from Scottrade to Vanguard smoothly.

Good luck!