Saturday, January 23, 2021

Started SMSF Process

I made it my new year resolution to finally set up an SMSF. This is the next step in our financial restructuring process. The final step will be estate planning. The idea is to put relatively high tax investments into the SMSF. Also, we will put direct holdings of US stocks into the fund, so that they aren't part of our estate. Yes, there is a tax treaty between Australia and the US, which would mean that we wouldn't pay any tax at the moment. But it is likely that the threshold for inheritance tax in the US will be reduced under the Democrats and there is still paperwork to do.

I have now started the process with SuperGuardian who seem to provide a lot of service with a lot of flexibility and have very good recommendations. All I've done so far is send in the client engagement form. The decisions I made so far are to use a corporate trustee and to use a Macquarie CMA as the fund's bank account. Apparently, one third of SMSFs use a Macquarie CMA and SuperGuardian's representative said a lot of their clients do too. A corporate trustee is a little more complicated and expensive in the short run, but seems more sensible in the long run. An SMSF with only individual trustees must have at least two trustees, while the corporate trustee can have a single director. As I am 11 years older than Moominmama, it's likely that she will end up being the only trustee/director unless we bring our children into the fund, or she involves at outside person as an additional trustee. She would also have to deal with all that and she currently isn't at all interested in any of this financial stuff.

2 comments:

enoughwealth@yahoo.com said...

You better check that you can do in specie transfers of US stocks into an SMSF - I think you can only transfer ASX listed stocks into an SMSF (https://www.esuperfund.com.au/learn/contributions-to-smsf/inspecie).

Also, as the superfund will become the owner of the stocks, there is a change of ownership, so that triggers a CGT event and you have to pay any CGT liability when you transfer stocks into an SMSF.

Anonymous said...

I plan to sell the US stocks and buy them again. I have a lot of tax losses I generated during the COVID-crash :) (not wash sales...).

But I just realised that I own shares in the IAU gold ETF and that is a US stock... I forgot about that.