Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Reduced Our Health Insurance Premium

 

Inspired by Jessica Irvine's article on health insurance in the Sydney Morning Herald (I get her weekly newsletter), I phoned BUPA a couple of times and reduced our monthly health insurance premium from AUD 596 to about AUD 530. I switched the hospital coverage from gold (which we wanted when Moominmama was pregnant) to silver advanced (which is probably still too much coverage) and the extras from Budget Extras to Freedom 50. I think we should probably just drop the extras but Moominmama seems to think we'll use it. I'll monitor after a year or two and see if we are getting our money's worth. I estimate that the extra tax we would have to pay if we didn't have private health insurance is about AUD 370 a month. Moominmama likes private health insurance (and private schools etc.) whereas I don't get the point, really.

2 comments:

Financial independence said...

Hello mOOm, it’s good to see that you managed to negotiate down your insurance premium. I don’t get it either but it currently comes free with the job. I used to have Bupa and it was ok during pregnancy. Private birth cost ver 10 K gbp in the UK. Everything else is questionable as I need to see government general practitioner to see any private insurance consultant.

mOOm said...

Here there are big tax incentives to get private health insurance but you can get a quite minimal policy to avoid the extra tax.