If you ever have to do a security clearance - at least in this country - these are some of the things you'll need:
1. Everywhere you ever travelled overseas down to the months for the last 10 years and by year for previous years. And for your spouse too.
2. Addresses with proof in the form of utility bills for last ten years.
3. Everywhere you worked with months and times you weren't working for the last ten years.
4. Birth certificate etc. of course
5. You can get away with minimal info on your parents and your spouse's parents.
They'll also want to know all the accounts you have and their value and your credit card numbers etc.
Luckily I can provide all the info more or less. So that's a good reason not to throw things away...
This is the lowest level clearance so I can be granted free access to a federal government department. Working for a university is not working for the government. It's a public sector non-profit or something...