Sunday, September 03, 2006

Books on Tax for Traders

Just ordered a couple of books about tax for traders. The Tax Guide for Traders by Robert Green and The New Traders Tax Solution by Ted Tesser. This is definitely a topic I need to understand much better before taking my trading business to the next level. I know about several of the issues but am unclear how the following interact: 60/40 treatment of futures, mark-to-market accounting, trader tax status, self-employment tax. Well I know that mark-to-market accounting results in you not being allowed to use 60/40 treatment of futures. But I was reading that you still can claim trader tax status, and somewhere I read you can still avoid the self-employment tax. Need to get this all straight and also understand whether I should set up a business entity such as an LLC or S-Corporation.

No comments: