Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Annual Report 2006: Part IV

This is the final part of the annual report where I review my current investment allocation and strategy:



This is a screen shot of part of the allocation spreasheet I set up each month to keep tabs on my investment strategy. 2/3 of my net assets are in Australian Dollar related investments. Australian based international investments that aren't hedged into the Australian Dollar are listed in the "Other" column. Yes, over half my net worth is in the CFS Conservative Fund - this fund is 30% invested in equities with the remainder in bonds and cash. I've listed it under Australian Bonds even though it also includes foreign bonds and equities and Australian shares. I have 1-2% of net worth allocated to any individual stock investment. Larger shares can be allocated to closed end funds or trading positions (e.g. 15% allocated to a SPY trade). Unlike the majority of PF Bloggers I don't have any index funds as investments. I use ETFs as trading vehicles.

Here is a different view of the portfolio:



My strategy is to invest 100% of my net worth and borrow against this to fund trading. At the end of 2006 my net trading position was long. The beta exposure column shows how much each category adds to the portfolio's beta (which measures its sensitivity to the S&P 500 index). The investment portfolio contributes a beta of 0.45. My trading positions added a beta of 0.553. So currently I have a very conservative investment portfolio. The overall portfolio's beta can range from 0.9 when I have long trading positions to -0.1 when I have short trading positions. IMO this is a much better approach to market timing than trying to swing an entire portfolio for and against the market. I developed this philosophy from Soros' approach as described in "The Alchemy of Finance".

The overall investment portfolio is conservative at the moment because the yield curve is inverted and there is a strong risk of a recession. Bonds do well in economic slow downs and recessions when the Fed cuts interest rates. So I do adjust the investment portfolio but over the course of years, trying to only incur long-term capital gains taxes. When I am bullish on the economy the beta of the investment portfolio will be above 1.

Breaking down the investment portfolio I have the following kinds of investments:

Core Investments (22%): Loftus Capital, Clime, EBB, EBI, Challenger Infrastructure, Berkshire Hathaway, HCBK, TFS Market Neutral Fund, Hussman Strategic Growth Fund, TIAA Real Estate, Newcastle, Platinum Capital. I don't intend to change these investments with changes in the economy. The investments are a mix of hedge funds, real estate funds, and investment management companies. I would like to have more of this type of investment.

Market Related Mutual Funds (71%): The four Colonial First State Funds, and CREF Bond Market Fund. In fact I have never adjusted the CFS Global Resources Fund since I bought it many years ago, but often wonder if I should. So maybe that too is a core investment. I hold onto positions in the CFS Future Leaders and Developing Company Funds because they are closed to new investors. In order to expand my holdings in the future I need to remain in them. I used to hold a much higher percentage in these funds. My holdings in these funds will change dramatically when I get bullish on the economy.

Industrial Stocks (9%): Ansell, Croesus, Symbion, Powertel, Telecom NZ. Croesus is probably worth nothing in fact (but has not been delisted). I have subsequently sold Telecom NZ. Ansell and Symbion are in the health related field and so I think will not be affected much by recession. Powertel is a small Australian telecom that has done very well and recently reached profitability. I will sell these when I think future gains don't look promising. I may buy new single stock investments when I see opportunities.

No comments: