Saturday, September 14, 2024

Moominpapa's Taxes 2023-24

I did our taxes earlier this year as Aura sent me a tax statement earlier than in previous years. Here is a summary of my taxes. You can find previous year's taxes here. To make things clearer, I reclassify a few items compared to the actual tax form (such as foreign source income deductions). Of course, everything is in Australian Dollars. 

Overall, gross income fell 6%, while deductions rose 5%, resulting in a fall in net income of 8%.

On the income side, Australian dividends, franked distributions from managed funds, and foreign source income were all down strongly. Tribeca Global Resources paid a much smaller dividend this year, some of my other share holdings were reduced slightly to make new investments, and I didn't get dividends from Fortescue (sold) or Pendal (acquired). I also reduced my holding of 3i (III.L) and so got reduced foreign source income.

My salary still dominates my income sources but again only increased by 3%. Net capital gain is zero due to carryover losses from last year. I am carrying forward $41k in capital losses to next year. Rising interest rates increased deductions, while charitable giving was up 33% after falling last year.

Gross tax is computed by applying the rates in the tax table to the net income. In Australia, you don't enter the tax due in your tax return, but I like to compute it so that I know how big or small my refund will likely be. Franking credits (from Australian dividends), foreign tax paid, and the Early Stage Venture Capital (ESVCLP) offset are all deducted from gross tax to arrive at the tax assessment. ESVCLP was up due to more capital calls from Aura.

Estimated assessed tax fell because of the reduced net income and larger offsets this year.

I estimate that I will pay 24% of net income in tax. Tax was withheld on my salary at an average rate of 32%. I already paid $7,996 in tax installments and so estimate that I should get a refund of $16,942! Let's see.

No comments: