Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Invested in Another Startup

Unpopular Ventures offered a syndicated investment in the seed round of a start-up based in Europe. I can't give any details of the investment. Based on their projections, which I think look pretty unrealistic, it would be a fantastic investment but they have been growing very rapidly so far, have a lot of experience, and the valuation doesn't seem too crazy.

The investment is basically in a separate fund, where the general partners get 20% carry. They suggested investing USD 2,500 (minimum was USD 1,000) and I did that, following Meb's advice to invest a little in lots of different start-ups. I'm used to investing 1-2% or as little as 1/4% of the portfolio in an investment and this is more like 1/16%. On the one hand, I don't want to make too many different investments because of information overload. On the other hand, I can't do anything about this investment unless there is an exit or opportunity to invest more, so I don't really need to pay much attention to its performance.

No comments: