Reading Sam's post on 17 years of Financial Samurai, I realized I missed the 20th Anniversary of Moomin Valley! These were the first two posts. In the early years, I posted a lot. Since the GFC and even more since 2012, I have posted less. The nadir was in 2017 (25 posts)–the year after our first child was born. But I still managed a few posts beyond the monthly and annual reports. 2018 was a bumper year for posting and since then, I've stabilized at around 60 posts a year on average. In total there have been 2,270 posts or about 110 per year.
At first, I wasn't sure what I would use the blog for. Mostly, it has been for accountability for myself. I know I need to post about the ups and downs each month. Writing about investments means that you need to think about them. I hoped my wife would read it to learn about our finances, but that didn't really happen.

3 comments:
Congratulations on 20 years of blogging about financial independence!
What makes Moomin Valley so valuable is that it has never been a blog about chasing quick wins or following the latest financial fad. Over two decades, it has documented the real journey of building wealth through disciplined saving, thoughtful investing, detailed record-keeping, and continual learning. The result is an extraordinary financial autobiography that shows not just the destination of financial independence, but the many twists along the way—career changes, international moves, family life, market booms and crashes, inheritance, retirement planning, and the evolution of an investor's thinking. Few bloggers have shared such a long, transparent dataset of both finances and decision-making. Congratulations on creating a resource that demonstrates how wealth is built over decades rather than months, and for proving that patience, curiosity, and consistency remain some of the most powerful investment tools available.
Wow, thank you for the very nice words! I am glad the blog has been helpful.
Hey Moom, congratulations on 20 years. I started lurking in your blog about 8 yrs ago when I started my own blog, slackinvestor.com. I have really enjoyed your financial musings and your candid approach on your own hits and misses. Stay well and good luck as you approach retirement. Cheers... and keep posting, Slack Investor
Post a Comment