Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Switching from WAM Capital to WAM Active


I first invested in WAM Capital (WAM.AX) in April 2025 during the "Tariff Tantrum". This has mainly been an investment in our SMSF. But the portfolio performance over the last year has been disappointing, with a 10.5% portfolio loss before fees etc. This vastly underperformed the market. All the WAM small cap funds apart from WAM Active (WAA.AX), had a similar performance. 

WAM Active was up 75% and up an average of 26% in each of the previous two years. It is managed mainly by Shaun Weick, while the overall small cap strategy is overseen by Oscar Oberg. The fund takes a more active trading stance. It had a 10x portfolio turnover in FY 26 and they participated in 87 capital raises! Three years ago, its strategy was separated from the other small cap funds.

So,  I have sold my WAM position of 110k shares and bought 150k shares of WAM Active. Overall, we made AUD 19k on WAM Capital with an IRR of 9.9%. So, we still made money despite the poor performance of the underlying portfolio. But I think we can do better.

No comments: