Friday, March 05, 2010

Nominated

The Australian government is nominating me as a candidate for participation in an international research organization in my field. Of course, all the other UN countries get to make nominations too. And they didn't pick me out of the blue. I submitted my name to the government department here. Of course I was in the right network to hear about the opportunity in the first place. It's not a paid position (your expenses are covered) but it can't hurt my CV (I think) and maybe could have an influence on policy. So that's good. It's much easier to get involved in these opportunities here than it was in the US. I did have some interactions there with the policy sphere but not as frequent. Partly it is because this is a smaller country, population wise and I am nearer the centre - geographically and institutionally. It's much easier to get a position in a top institution here than it is in the US. There is trade off - being second tier in a top country or first tier in a second tier country...

9 comments:

sergeson said...

Congrats! I wouldn't be too concerned about being second tier in a top country or first tier in a second tier country. Either one is a great honor and a great experience/opportunity.

mOOm said...

Thanks! As I said the US, UK, Japan, etc. will all nominate candidates. Not all developing countries will have viable candidates or smaller developed countries like Iceland. But I guess there would be ten or so really competitive candidates for each position on this body.

I think it is better to be a big fish in a smallish pond (me in Australia) than a small fish in the biggest pond (me in the US), though the latter experience is also good. You don't want to get stuck in too small a pond though - see above e.g. Iceland etc.

frugal zeitgeist said...

Most excellent! How long does the appointment last? I take it you'll be traveling?

mOOm said...

As I said it's a nomination and other countries get to nominate for the same position too. So I'm on some sort of short or long list for it. Yes it involves travelling quite often over about a 2-3 year period I believe. If you want to know what it's all about send me an e-mail :)

Rafi (S) said...

Sounds great! Congratulations, even if you don't get chosen in the end. BTW what happened with the voting for the best blog?

Rafi

Paul - financeninja said...

congrats on the big nomination and marriage! you are making light-years ahead of me dude.

Revanche said...

Congratulations on the nomination! I hope you get it!

If you want to post what it's all about, that'd be great, or copy me on FZ's explanatory email! :)

mOOm said...

I don't want to give away too much more about my identity on here :) So I'll e-mail you. Congratulations on your job!

Revanche said...

Thank you!

And Rafi, the Plutus award voting ends today so head on over and vote if you haven't already. Flexo of Consumerism Commentary is running it and will be tabulating votes soon.