Friday, January 04, 2008

Annual Report: Investments and Trades

I've already reported on annual investment and trading cash flows and rates of return. Today, I break things down into how much was made or lost on each security, fund, future etc. I invested in or traded. It's all in this table, which is an annual version of the ones in my monthly reports.



Last year's results for comparison. Again, there are more investments towards the top of the table and trades towards the bottom of the table. As last year the largest amount of money was earned by the Colonial First State Conservative Fund and Option (option is the retirement version of the fund). But the second best investment last year - EBB and EBI - is the worst this year. Platinum Capital was also a good performer last year and a poor one this year. I made decent money trading US stock indices but lost on the Australian index. I made a really dumb trade in Salesforce.com. Last year, Newscorp and Hansen featured as dumb trades. Trades in Apple contributed nicely in both years (but I should have invested in Apple instead!). There are contributions from trades exploiting the housing-credit disaster - IYR, Toll Brothers. Lehman, and Beazer - all winners. My investment in HCBK and the TIAA Real Estate Fund worked out as plays on the best in real estate, while Newcastle Investments, decidedly did not work out.

Well all the rest is there for you to see in the table.

No comments: