Monday, December 22, 2008

Depositing a U.S. Check in Australia?

We received a check for just over $US3,000 for Snork Maiden's costs getting to and attending the conference in China in October. I'd like to turn it into Australian Dollars if possible. Tomorrow I'm going to see if Commonwealth Bank can do this at a reasonable cost and delay. Otherwise we'll have to mail it to her account in the U.S. But the only way to convert it to Australian Dollars is for her to then write me a US check which I would then mail to the US and then I'd do a transfer to one of my brokerage accounts and then finally I could do a wire transfer back to Australia. I don't think TD Banknorth HSBC would agree to do a wire transfer to Australia with us the account owners not present in the U.S. Or maybe they would? Anyway, let's see what CBA have to offer first.

3 comments:

enoughwealth@yahoo.com said...

I haven't deposited a USD cheque into an Australian bank account for a couple of years but it used to cost $30 per cheque with most banks, and took several weeks to clear.

mOOm said...

CBA told me today that the fee is $A10 and there is a 21 day hold. Only thing is I forgot to get Snork Maiden to endorse the cheque as we don't do that in Australia...

Revanche said...

Good grief, that seems like a lot of hassle.