Monday, July 18, 2022

A Tale of Two Bloggers

Enough Wealth has a new post comparing our two NetWorthShare net worth curves titled a Tale of Two Bloggers. He took out the step changes due to inheritance in both our histories. But the two curves are in different currencies - mine in USD and his in AUD despite us both living in Australia. I wanted my track record to be comparable to the majority of other members who are US based. The volatility of my net worth is much lower in AUD than in USD. This is by design. The Australian Dollar tends to fall during "risk-off" periods reducing losses in AUD terms and increasing them in USD terms.

So, I thought I'd post a comparison of my net worth curve in both AUD and USD terms:


These go back way before the record on NetWorthShare. Back to September 1990, the month I started my PhD in the US... In addition to bigger moves during bear markets, the US series has a number of flat periods compared to the AUD series - around 2015, 2018-19 and in 2021. Overall, the AUD curve ascends more smoothly. We can also reminisce about that time after the GFC when the Australian Dollar was worth more than the US Dollar!


No comments: