Sunday, July 10, 2022

Portfolio Planning

I won't post June accounts for quite a while. There doesn't seem much point until we have all valuations for private assets for the end of the financial year and that won't happen till some time in August probably.

I did a bit of a portfolio planning exercise again with some moves planned. I tweaked the portfolio allocation a little as a result to meet the various constraints. Target allocation to Australian large cap is down from 8% to 7%, hedge fund allocation down from 25% to 24% and bonds and futures both up from 5% to 6%. Other allocations remain unchanged (real assets 15%, private equity 15%, international shares 11%, gold 10%, and cash 1%). Back in 2017, our Australian large cap allocation was 35-36%!

In theory, the new allocation does increase the historical portfolio Sharpe ratio. 

So here is the current allocation where I break down by asset class and type of holding:

You are going to need to click on this to see any detail. The names at the bottom are most of the relevant investments in that category. Employer super includes my US retirement account as well. I originally developed this spreadsheet when we were planning the SMSF. Then the future allocation tries to move more towards the long run allocation while taking into account the amount of money in each pot and what the employer super is invested in etc.

It also reflects that we are probably going to get the cash back from our investment in PSTH, which is then reinvested in the SMSF. I want to move my holding of Aspect Diversified Futures into the SMSF  I will sell and buy again rather than actually move it as I plan to buy a class with lower fees. With the proceeds from selling Aspect we invest in Australian small cap and international shares. We then use the proceeds from PSTH to buy Aspect in the super fund. Plus a $20k concessional contribution for Moominmama I just made. Otherwise, the allocation says we need to increase holdings of real assets outside of super a lot. I don't know what those investments would be...



No comments: