Monday, August 29, 2022

Transfer to HSBC Australia Didn't Work

I transferred USD 1,000 from Interactive Brokers to the HSBC Everyday Global Account. I was surprised to find that they converted it to Australian Dollars. I am confused about whether I did something wrong or not. I posted a question about it in the mobile chat and the app said it was still learning and didn't understand and a consultant would get back to me.

P.S. 30Aug22

So, the consultant explained that first you have to add the US Dollar "product" to your account before you can transfer US Dollars to your account. I now applied and was approved.

Even if I get this working properly this is a slow method of converting currency. First I need to transfer money to IB, then wait before I am allowed to withdraw it again, then wait while the transfer to HSBC happens, then do another transfer. Of course, we could simply have lots of US Dollars lying around at HSBC just in case, but there is an interest cost to doing that... So all this might be too much hassle.

For September's investment in Unpopular Ventures, I'm planning to sell some shares at IB and then transfer US Dollars to HSBC and see how it goes.

P.P.S. 30Aug22 

So now I know when you get the 2% cashback on debit card purchases. You need to deposit at least $2,000 a month into the account. That is a tremendous rate of return compared to passing that spending money through our offset account - about 5 times the rate of return. So, I am going to get Moominmama's salary deposited to this account in future. I'm not sure about opening one myself as I have a lot lower rate of spending on a debit/credit card.

 

No comments: