Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Not Renewing Wholesale Investor Status

I got a message from Interactive Brokers that I needed to renew my wholesale investor status as two years had passed since I submitted an accountant's certificate. They currently only allow retail investors to borrow a maximum of AUD 50k in margin loans. The accountant agreed to do it again and I sent her all the relevant material to prove my net worth was more than AUD 2.5 million that took me 2-3 hours to put together. I came up with a number of AUD 3.7 million – the test is done on an individual not family basis – and so thought it would be easy. But now she has come back and said she can't include any superannuation in the number! So she estimates my net worth for the purpose of the test is AUD 2.4 million. She suggested I get a professional valuation of my house to prove the higher number I suggested for it (AUD 1.25 million).

It doesn't make any sense to me that an SMSF would be excluded but home equity included.

Anyway, I looked carefully at my Interactive Brokers account. Currently, I could borrow a maximum of AUD 96k. The saving in interest per year for the amount above 50k compared to CommSec is about AUD 5k. But I am unlikely to borrow that much, as I don't want to get a margin call if things go pear-shaped. So, I've decided not to do the property valuation, because it might come in lower and I still wouldn't qualify. I will wait till when I actually want to borrow more or make a new venture capital investment in Australia and I am closer to qualifying. 

Of course, it is much easier to qualify as an accredited investor under US rules. Moominmama qualified in order to participate in AngelList even though her net worth including super is definitely under AUD 2.5 million.

No comments: