Monday, January 08, 2024

Contributions to Annual Return

I haven't formally finalized the accounts for 2023 yet. I will need to wait to get investment returns on illiquid investments that report with a long time lag. But I do have a preliminary estimate of 6.38% in AUD terms (6.64% in USD terms). This is rather disappointing as the MSCI returned 22.81%, the S&P 500 26.27%, and the ASX 200 14.45%. Our target portfolio returned 10.84%. So, why did we underperform the target by so much? The following tables analyze the returns of each portfolio:

RoR is the rate of return of the asset class and contribution is the rate of return multiplied by the share of the portfolio. The sum of contributions gives the portfolio return. The returns for the Moom portfolio are in currency neutral and unlevered terms and, so, differ slightly from the Australian Dollar return for the portfolio. The asset classes don't quite match, but it's close enough. 

The target portfolio got 2.48% returns from international stocks. The return I got from US stocks at 15.8% was less than the MSCI index at 22.5% but more importantly, my allocation to other countries resulted in a negative return and so the total contribution from international stocks was only 0.89%. 

The target portfolio got 1.73% returns from Australian stocks. Again, my return from Australian large caps was a bit lower than that of the ASX 200 but my allocation to small cap stocks had a negative return and so the overall contribution was only 0.49%.

The target portfolio represents managed futures using the Winton Global Alpha Fund. This gave a contribution of 0.59%. I also allocated to the Aspect Diversified Futures Fund and Australian Dollar futures. These dragged down returns resulting in a contribution of only 0.18%.

The target portfolio obtained a 1.61% contribution from hedge funds (based on the HFRI index), while I only got 0.25%. Though some funds like Pershing Square did very well, other Australian hedge funds under-performed.

Real Assets is the area where I outperformed. I represent this in the target portfolio using the TIAA Real Estate Fund. My allocations to other real assets resulted here in a small gain rather than a large loss.

Bonds and gold made a similar contribution to each portfolio. Finally, venture capital made an outsized contribution to the target portfolio of 4.38%. My venture capital investments lost money overall in 2023. I did much better than the target portfolio in buyout investments like 3i. But this wasn't sufficient to match the target portfolio's overall private equity contribution.

I think there is some luck here. In a different year, non-US stocks or Australian small caps might perform well. On the other hand, I also need to eventually reduce some of my allocations to Australian hedge funds that have under-delivered.


No comments: