Monday, January 08, 2024

Update on the Children's Portfolios

I was calling our children Moomin and Baby Moomin on this blog. But the latter is no longer a baby, so let's call them Big and Little Moomin :) My brother reported to me that Big Moomin's portfolio only returned 4% in USD terms in 2023. He put that down to not trading enough because the bank has made it harder to trade on this trust account...  Obviously it's down to being in the wrong things. I have tried to get him to stick with a diversified portfolio. He manages this one and the accounts for two of his children who all inherited money from our mother. The will stated that they couldn't access the money till they were 23 years old. I manage Little Moomin's portfolio, because he was born after my mother died and so wasn't included in the will. My brother and I each contributed from our inheritances to his account. I invested his money in an investment bond with Generation Life. His account returned an estimated pre-tax 14% in AUD terms in 2023.* The target portfolio benchmark made about 10.8% for the year. So, finally, this portfolio outperformed the benchmark after under-performing so far:


The graph also shows how the target portfolio has matched the ASX 200 while experiencing lower volatility over this period.

Anyway, my brother says that he is going to try to transfer the money to me. Initially, he was advised that the money had to stay in his country, where my mother lived, but now apparently he has reason to think otherwise.

* It is estimated, as 30% tax is deducted inside the investment bond. You can reduce this tax eventually if the child "breaks the bond" by adding an additional investment and they are in a lower tax bracket when withdrawing the money.

No comments: