Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bureaucracy

On May 16th the U.S. Consulate in Sydney mailed a letter to my lawyer here in the U.S. with the date for my interveiw for green card visa. Just one problem (well more than one). The date: 8:00AM on May 20th. Not only is that date passed, even if I was in Australia it would be hard to meet it as first I need to visit one of their approved doctors for a checkup as well as pay various fees. And that was Sunday morning, which makes it look like either a mistake or an error (wrong month?). My alwyer says they send out these ridiculous appointments all the time, so perhaps it is simply a placeholder and they expect you to negotiate a real appointment with them? I'll pick up the packet of info from her on Thursday when she holds her regular "office hours" at our university's human resources department. Then I'll need to schedule an appointment with the consulate.

The appointment will have to be in several months time as I haven't yet done the criminal background checks in all three countries I've lived in apart from the US. I will ask them if I need to do the ones other than Australia when I reschedule as those two were places I lived more than 10 years ago and their procedures are real hassles. I've delayed doing them, partly because they are huge hassles and partly because I still don't know where Snork Maiden will get a job. The Europe job now seems to be out, but we are still waiting to hear on the Australia one. Meanwhile she has an interview with one in Arizona on the phone from Beijing. Her interviewer will actually be in Europe. This guy was my department head in my first academic job in Europe (now he is in Arizona). Would be funny if Snork Maiden's first academic job is working with the same guy I worked with on my first academic position!

So I've told my friends in Australia that either they will see me when I come to pick up my visa or when we move to Australia. Either way it should be in the coming year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you move to Oz, I'll have you know that I am completely open to being your adopted daughter. No, don't worry, you won't have to decide now. Just sign the papers.

mOOm said...

LOL - your stepmother will be the same age as you then :)

Adventures In Money Making said...

good luck with the consulate thing. its such a pain to deal with.