Monday, April 04, 2022

Domacom Appoints New Chairman and CEO

Good news at Domacom (DCL.AX). They announced today that they have appointed John Hewson as chairman and John Elkovich as the new CEO. Hewson is chairman of Crescent Finance who are collaborating with Domacom on Islamic mortgages. Domacom has interesting products but has struggled to get enough funds under management to breakeven. They need 5-10 times as much FUM to become profitable. So, though they have seen nice growth in FUM recently, 40% p.a. growth just doesn't move the needle that quickly. My hope has been that the company would be acquired. It's good to see that some other experienced people believe in the product.

I can see scope for improving the fractional investing product. I find the financial information provided on existing investments to be unclear and non-transparent. The level of explanation really needs to be stepped up to make secondary investors willing to participate and increase market liquidity in my opinion. I have only invested in one secondary investment, which is now exiting. I signed up to several "campaigns" but there is glacial progress on raising funds for them. I just discovered that two of them seem to have given up and released the pledged cash back to investors.

Hopefully, these things will improve going forward. Maybe I should send the new chairman (who is my honorary colleague) a letter with my thoughts :)

No comments: