Thursday, April 05, 2007

Everest Brown and Babcock

This is my first post on a specific investment in my asset allocation series. Well, actually two investments: Everest Brown and Babcock (EBB.AX) and Everest Brown and Babcock Investment Trust (EBI.AX). EBB is an alternative investment manager. Mainly they manage funds of hedge funds. EBI is a closed end fund of hedge funds that trades on the Australian Stock Exchange. You can learn all about the company and their funds here. I want to discuss why I bought this investment - most readers won't be able to buy into this specific investment and so the rationale is probably of much more interest than the specifics.

EBB originally floated on the ASX in early 2005 as a stapled security that included one share in a fund of hedge funds and one share in the investment management company. The idea was that the investment manager charges, like most hedge fund managers, a performance fee. By also investing in the investment manager you would get part of the fee rebated back to you. As you'll know by now, I like hedge funds and other alternative investments, and I especially liked the idea of getting some of the fee rebated. On top of that, when I invested in August 2005 the shares were trading at a discount to net asset value. That meant you were getting the management company practically for free! Also the managers were invested in the shares as well as in the management company (only part of the management company was floated in this transaction). I like to see this in the "passive alpha" investments I make. The founders also had the backing of Babcock and Brown - an upcoming global investment bank headquartered in Australia.

The shares continued to trade at a discount to NAV. In August 2006 it was decided to destaple the securities and let the management company and the investment trust trade separately. This was a brilliant move. The value of the management company shares has since soared. Looking at the two securities as a single investment my annualized rate of return has been about 54% since investing (pre-tax)! Total profit is now over $A13k. I originally invested $A9350 and in August 2006 invested an additional $3400 in the management company shares to double my holding. Yesterday I bought $A15,000 more of the investment trust to almost triple my holding of that stock.

EBB.AX now has a P/E of 52. Though I expect the firm to continue to grow, that does seem rather pricey and so I don't plan to add to my holdings. Anyway, I already have 3% of my net worth invested which is more than I really am comfortable to invest in a single stock that isn't a closed end fund. The only US listed hedge fund manager so far is Fortress Investment Group (FIG). Of course firms like Goldman Sachs are also in this business. FIG's pricey and I'm not looking to invest in it. But I'm not planning to sell EBB yet, either. The EBI.AX fund of hedge funds is undervalued at today's closing price. It in fact has had quite a high beta to the stockmarket. That might decline a little when the newly raised funds are deployed in other less correlated investments. There are no such investments listed on US stock exchanges yet, to the best of my knowledge.

6 comments:

ML said...

Moom,

Interesting. How does PSP fit in this universe?

Thanks, ML

mOOm said...

Another ETF I hadn't heard of :) But this one sounds interesting. PSP isn't invested in private equity but in companies that may be involved in private equity investments. One of the biggest holdings is Leucadia (LUK) which is on my buying watchlist. I think I would prefer to buy shares in LUK than in an ETF that may also be invested in poorly managed companies. Checking out the companies that it holds would be a good idea though.

Anonymous said...

Good to see a post from another happy EBB holder - the recent EBI raising has increased AUM so hopefully the run will continue long term. BTW have you looked at MFI.AX?

mOOm said...

I haven't looked at MFI.AX before. A quick glance indicates that it has been pretty erratic with lots of negative earnings halves and years. EBB.AX ran up after the capital raising announcement and now is at a P/E of 50 ish. Hard to see a strong increase in price then near term, though the P/E may be justified.

ML said...

Moom,

Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have guessed that LUK had anything to do with private equity by looking at its profile on Yahoo.

mOOm said...

LUK is mainly in the business of turning companies around as I understand it as well as doing other deals. They do all kinds of deals many of which are private equity in nature. BRK also buys unlisted companies but when it buys whole companies it doesn't plan to sell them again. Read the chairman's letter from LUK. There should be a new one in a couple of weeks.