Thursday, April 12, 2007

IPO

I have an opportunity to participate in an IPO, in this case the IPO of Interactive Brokers - one of my US stockbrokers. When I lived in Australia I participated in several IPOs some of which were very profitable and some of which were disastrous. I've learnt how to tell them apart upfront. My guess on this one, even before reading the prospectus is that it would be intermediate between the two extremes. Only 5% of the company is being IPOed. Owners don't do that if they expect the value to fall. They will sell the whole company then (see HIH). On the other hand they are going to use a Dutch auction to set the price and they are opening it to all the account-holders of the company. This encourages a full valuation of the company as it is an efficient auction mechanism. The indicative pricing ($23-27) gives a P/E of around 20. I haven't participated in a US IPO before. Maybe I'll do it just for fun. I'm thinking of bidding for 100 @ $27 and 100 @ $36. If the issue prices from $27-36 I'd end up with 100 shares and below $27 200 shares. What do you think?

P.S. 9:54PM

Another IPO - Platinum Asset Management - these guys are the manager of Platinum Capital (PMC.AX) , which is one of my passive alpha investments. They are selling 20% of the company valuing it at $A2.8 billion. They have $A22 billion under management. I can't participate in the IPO as I'm not resident in Australia. But this one is going onto my watchlist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also considereing the IB IPO... I like your blog, will read more when I have time.

//

http://thestocktrader.blogspot.com