Monday, April 09, 2007

Industrial Stocks



As I've mentioned many times, my investment style doesn't depend on being able to pick individual stocks which aren't in fact companies making other financial investments. I think is is hard for an individual investor to do this. Few mutual fund managers are any good at it. Which is why you have to be very selective about the managers you invest in. I'd love to get comments from people who are good at stock picking if you can back it up with a track record.

I only have four of these industrial stocks. Croesus Mining has been an unmitigated disaster. I was trying to trade it when the stock was halted and then the company declared bankruptcy. I'm still waiting for the situation to be finally resolved. I originally invested a small amount when I read about how it was undervalued and the most likely Aussie gold company to be taken over. Apparently not undervalued in fact and only taken over once bankrupt :) OTOH Ansell and Powertel have been good investments and Symbion a poor but at least moneymaking investment.

Before Telecom NZ announced the acquisition of Powertel, this investment returned to me an annualized 132% I invested in May 2006 @ $A1.20 a share and the buy out price is $A2.30 a share. We are now just waiting for the buyout to proceed. Unfortunately we are going to get cash but I'll just squeak into the holding period for the long-term capital gains rate. If we received Telecom NZ shares then there would be no tax to pay. But who wants them? I bought into Powertel on the recommendation of an online acquaintance in Hong Kong. He sent me the research reports by Goldman Sachs etc. I was very impressed when I looked over the accounts and decided to give it a shot. The story was here was a small telecom owning an important infrastructure asset that was just about to break into profitability. If they didn't become profitable an acquisition was then likely.

I originally bought into the then Mayne-Nickless when it was announced that Peter Smedley who had managed Colonial very successfully - I owned Colonial from the IPO to its acquisition by the Commonwealth Bank - was coming in as CEO. Initially Mayne's stock price rose, but then it eventuated that his management style wasn't working in the healthcare parts of the business. The stock price then plummeted again. It's been a long story. Eventually the company was dismantled and Mayne Pharma was spun-off and then acquired by Hospira. Symbion is the remaining Australia based healthcare businesses. There is ongoing talk of consolidation in this sector and Symbion's price goes up and down with the news and speculation. I'm still holding on to see if something eventuates. It looks like in the long-term my rate of return has been 9.7% which is OK I guess.

My rate of return on Ansell has been 18.2% annualized. My current cost basis is -$2965. So I have pulled out my initial investment and almost $A3000 in profit. Another restructuring, turnaround story. I invested in the then Pacific Dunlop in September 2001. I can't remember what the exact rationale was, but clearly it was cheap. Today Ansell makes, surgical and industrial gloves and condoms. It is a global player headquartered in the US but still listed in Australia. In fact they have dropped their US listing. Rising rubber prices have negatively impacted the company recently but I'm still willing to trust management but with a reduced position in the stock.

In order to buy into another industrial stock I'm going to need a good business case, plus a low valuation. Sure I'll miss out on some growth stocks that would be great investments. But I find it hard to tell ahead of time. That's not where my edge is and I'm happy to leave it to the fund managers.

No comments: