Sunday, April 08, 2007

Real Estate Investments

Continuing in the "passive alpha" theme we get today to my real estate investments. These include the TIAA Real Estate Fund, Newcastle (NCT), Challenger Infrastructure Fund (CIF.AX), and Hudson City Bank Corp (HCBK). The TIAA fund, which TIAA-CREF call very confusingly a "variable annuity" - it can be automatically converted to a variable annuity when you retire as I understand it - is effectively an open-ended mutual fund directly invested in real estate. They own office, retail, industrial, and residential properties around the US (and one overseas investment). Currently I put 50% of my incoming 403b contributions into this fund. It has performed excellently since September 2002 when I first invested with an annualized 11.4% rate of return and a very low variance. It's had only two slightly negative months. As a result, its Sharpe Ratio is an almost unheard of 4.5! My annualized rate of return is 12.9% as I've changed my contribution rate over time. It also has only a 0.078 correlation with the returns of my overall portfolio. I'm thinking to roll over my 403b into a Roth IRA when I one day quit my current job, but it is certainly tempting to hold onto this fund!

I've held the other investments for shorter periods and they haven't been as good as this one. I bought into Challenger Infrastructure around the time of its IPO (I couldn't participate due to being non-resident in Australia) in August 2005. It's returned 9.7% annualized since then. CIF is a closed end fund that is invested in infrastructure assets in Britain - gas distribution networks and broadcasting towers etc. It is supposed to be a global fund but ended up only investing in the UK for some reason. It's accounts have been pretty impenetrable. I originally bought 3000 shares and when the fund was trading below NAV I bought 2000 more. Later I sold 3000 due to the factors I mentioned above. I like to understand how an investment makes money and be confident in management's strategy. I didn't sell all my shares as I believed the investment was still udnervalued but I sold some to reduce my risk. Maybe I should think about selling the rest? One thing I do like about this investment is that the management company is heavily invested in the fund itself.

NCT and HCBK have both lost me a little money so far. Newcastle is a mortgage REIT managed by the Fortress Investment Group (FIG). It is mainly invested in commercial mortgages. I figured that in a real estate slump this fund could gain by buying assets cheaply. The assets it already held were high quality. And it has begun buying up assets from distressed institutions. So I'm going to hold for now. It also has a very high dividend yield - 9.9%. HCBK's main assets are high end residential mortgages. It also has immense amounts of cash and stockholder equity for a bank. So it has been buying back shares and I figured it too could win in a real estate slump. Also I anticipated it being added to the S&P 500 index. This has now happened but was a non-event as far as the stock price went.

The only passive alpha investment left to discuss is Berkshire Hathaway... and I don't think I need to explain that one! :)

No comments: