Friday, August 10, 2007

Back to Visa Issues Again

The HR Department at my university won't approve my leave due to concern that immigration will take a "dim view" of it. The head of HR gave two options: Appoint me to a fixed term appointment from 1 July 2007 to 13 September 2007 or that I resign retroactively from 30 June and do the "B Visa", which practically means leaving the country and trying to re-enter again as a tourist. The problem with the first option is that I might need a new H1B. So now I've e-mailed the lawyer again on that. If it does need a new visa, it's not a practical route. Likely I will end up having to try to go to Montreal and back... At least now all the stuff I want to ship to Australia is on its way and Snork Maiden would "just" have to drive 150 miles each way to pick up the rest of my stuff if I got stuck outside the country. Everything else could be handled from there.


Anonymous said...

Visa trouble! I thought professors are spared from all this headache.

I am almost scared of leaving the country now-a-days.

Are you going to be teaching in Australia? with long term plans of coming back?

mOOm said...

I'm not planning in teaching in Australia and I'm not planning on coming back to the US. That said who knows what will happen? :)